Wednesday, August 10, 2016

IntelliJ, Angular CLI, and Indexing

As I started working on my Angular CLI-managed Angular 2 project, I discovered that making code changes while Angular CLI was either serving my application or waiting to re-execute unit tests would cause my IntelliJ IDE to start re-indexing my project files.  Each indexing run took several minutes and during that time IntelliJ was slow to respond to my attempts to edit and interact with the code files.

I solved this performance issue by selecting the "Project Structure" / "Project Settings" menu item, selecting "Modules", and marking the following folders as "Excluded" on the "Source" tab:

  • dist
  • tmp
Those two folders are created and updated by Angular CLI automatically while testing and serving the application: there's no benefit in having the IDE index them.

No comments:

Post a Comment