Saturday, June 28, 2008

A list of jQuery plugins I use

As part of his blog post today, Ray Camden and a number of the folks who posted comments pointed out that while it was great that there are a lot of plugins available for jQuery, the downside is that it's hard to know which plugins are any good. I'm not a heavy plugin user, but I'd thought I'd list the few plugins and jQuery UI libraries that I've found to be very useful:

  • jQuery Form Plugin: this plugin appears in every project I've done since I started using jQuery. It makes it dead simple to submit forms via AJAX.

    (Oooh, it looks like the author's added some new features since the last time I download it...I'll have to check that out).

  • Tablesorter: this plugin was actually incorporated into version 1.0 of the jQuery UI library, but I don't see it listed in the current version of the UI library. This plugin lets you sort a table in ascending or descending order based on a selected column.

  • Sortables UI library: this part of the jQuery UI library lets you rearrange items on the page using drag-and-drop (something I've mentioned a number of times here on my blog).

  • TableDnD (Table Drag-and-Drop): the Sortables UI library I just mentioned does not work on table rows (tables are just "different," apparently), but this plugin lets you grab a row and move it up or down within the table.

  • curvyCorners: after trying a few different plugins aimed at letting you create curved corners for certain HTML elements (like <div>s), this plugin, although not perfect, seemed to work best.

    I must say that I couldn't get it to work right in IE, but that might have been because of the way I was using it. And it looks like the author has released a few updates since I last downloaded it, so that may not be an issue anymore.


Anyone else have any jQuery plugins they'd recommended using? Or recommend avoiding? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment